Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Konnichiwa (hello)!

I have been in Shimonoseki for over a week now, so I thought that it was about time I sent an update. I took the Shinkonsen (the bullet train) from Osaka to Shimonoseki and didn’t have any problems. It was a beautiful ride! The further I got from Osaka the more green and scenic it became. Shimonoseki sits at the tip of Honshu (the main island) so there are gorgeous views of mountains, islands, bridges, and the bay. Baiko High School, where I am teaching at, has some of the best views since it is one of the highest points in the city.

I have now settled into my apartment and it feels more and more like home. I have a huge apartment! For some reason I was placed in an apartment that is designed for a small family, so I have lots of space. If anyone is ever visiting this area of Japan let me know because I definitely have room to house you! It’s a mystery to everyone why I was put here but it is a blessing. God has been so good and has blessed me with countless things—safe travel, seeing friends in Osaka, a furnished apartment (not to mention large), a rice cooker, a Japanese couch (think play house size, it’s about 2x2x4 feet and so cute!), new friends, fellowship in Japanese and English, the list could go on and on. I am especially thankful for Heidi and Nick (also NWC grads) who have been patient with my questions and are always willing to help. They have definitely made the transition easier.

This past Saturday was my first time to teach by myself and it went really well. Of course, it helped that there were only two students in each class. I am gradually meeting all of my students and observing a class period before jumping into teaching on my own. Here are a few differences in education systems: teachers’ desks are all in one room, shoes are changed upon entering the school, uniforms, students stay in their rooms and teachers move around, student and teachers use different doors for entering the school and classroom, and all students bring their own lunch. I have had lots to learn!

Tuesday there was a typhoon day, so we didn’t have school and yesterday we had a late start. It sounds like typhoon Nabi did quite a bit of damage on another island and there has been some flooding in Shimonoseki. Thankfully I am safe and there isn’t much damage where I am at—a gate and few trees blew down but that’s about it.

There is so much more I could say but this email has already gotten long enough. Thank you for all of your prayers—know that they have been felt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home