Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Today I arrived home after spending five days in the country with Heidi, Nick, Hiroko, and Hiroko's family. I had a wonderful time experiencing Oshogatsu (Japanese New Year) and Japanese family life! It was like being on a homestay. We visited several islands and saw lighthouses. One of the lighthouses we went to at night. It was a surreal experience seeing the bright beams scanning the ocean waters. I felt like I was in a sci-fi movie. It also depended my understanding of what being a beacon for Christ should look like. Our faith should not be hidden but there for all the world to see. Our words and actions should be like the light, drawing people closer to safety, to truth, and ultimately to Christ.

I learned how to make serveral Japanese dishes. The first afternoon we made mochi by pounding steamed rice with a sledge hammer type thing. Once the rice became a guppy lump, we tore off bread roll sized pieces to shape and put onko (red bean paste) inside. Sushi rolls was another learning experience. On top of the seaweed you put a layer of rice. Next is a row of egg, pickles, eel, radish, and other salty and crunchy ingredients. Then you roll it using the bambo mat as your guide. It's actually not that difficult.

We ate a ton of new food. Some of it I liked and other things were more difficult, like having fish and seaweed for breakfast. On New Year's morning we had a special brunch. First we ate beans for good luck. Then there was soup, fish eggs, mushrooms, roots, shrimp, and many things I don't know. All of the food has a meaning, but most of them are supposed to bring good luck and fertility.

It was interesting to see how laid back everything was for New Year's. We had a traditional supper on New Year's Eve and then watched a battle of the bands/battle of the sexes type TV show that lasts four hours long. Popular artists in Japan perform a song. It alternates between male and female. At the end people call in and vote for either the female team or male team. This is how a lot of people bring in the New Year in Japan. I was surprised that it wasn't with more pomp and circumstance. On January 1st, almost everyone goes to a shrine to pay either respect to a god. I think they go because it is what you do, not because they strongly believe in it Budhism and Shintoism.

We also had a day of skiing, which was great! I was a little nervous about it but it went well. I had a lot of fun and it was great to be in snow again. This area of Japan had at least 2 feet of snow. Yeah!

It was great to experience more of Japanese culture and to be part of a family for a little while. This blessed experience is one that I will continue to treaure in the years to come!

New Year's 2006 Pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaNXLlm0cNWMj&notag=1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home