Today was Baikosai (Baiko Festival) and the school was transformed into a different place. The rooms were decorated and there was color everywhere! It started with an opening ceremony--lots of bowing! Students gave a few speeches and then it was time for the class choir contests. I heard Japanese Jr. High School girls rap to We Will Rock You. It was hilarious to see these 14 year old girls with tough faces stomp, clap, move, and rap! I also heard songs from Sound of Music, Mama Mia, Ave Maria, etc. If you could only hear the English with Japanese accents--very endearing.
Each classroom had different themes and had something you could buy--food, drinks, pictures, bracelets, etc. The English club sold alphabet sugar cookies. We sold about 300 of them! During the day I heard Christmas music, a mini handbell concert, laugher, people licking ice cream cones, slurping udon noodles, singing, instruments playing swing music, etc.
I was also able to watch a very abbreviated version of My Fair Lady. Of course, it was all in Japanese and all of the parts were played by girls. The "guys" wore pants and had their hair pulled back and the girls wore skirts and had their hair down. Basically, they did several of the songs and have you a brief overview of the plot as the songs were strung together. It was fun to see my students in a different light. Several of the students who were in it I never would have guessed they were even interested in theatre by how quiet they are in class.
It was a wonderful day! I was so proud of all my students! (I definitely felt like a mother.)
Pictures of Baiko:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaNXLlm0cNWKZ

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home