Thursday, January 26, 2006

Education. Little by little I’m learning more about education in Japan. I recently learned more about the process students go through to get into university. It sure makes me glad that I grew up in the States!

Students go to cram school (extra school) and will study for years preparing for their university entrance exams. Between October and November students have the chance to take specific tests at the university they want to go to. If their scores are high enough and they meet all of the qualifications then they are accepted. Getting into the school of your choice is always exciting, and of course I rejoice with the students. However, until today I didn’t realize how exciting it was. If they are accepted that means they do not have to take the national test.

Last weekend thousands of seniors in high school took Japan’s national exam. This test is only offered once a year and has the ability to end many students’ dreams. Based on their score they know what universities they can and cannot apply for. If a student is sick or their score is not good, then they have to wait until the following year to take it again! (They do not have the luxury of taking it many times in one year to get the score they want like Americans have with the ACT and SAT.) One shot and their done for the year. I’ve also discovered that is it very difficult for students to transfer to different universities after they’ve started at one. The amount of pressure to do well on this one test is extremely high. Parents will do just about anything in their power (lots of bribes) to get their children to study for these tests and do well. They know how much of their child’s future rides on having a high score. Wow, I’m thankful for the education system that we have in America. No it’s not perfect, but neither is the one in Japan, contrary to many beliefs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home