A dentist experience: Going to the dentist is always a little nerve wracking, but going in a different country where you don't really speak the language adds a whole new dimension to the experience. One thing you should know is that most Japanese have horrendous teeth. Thus, no matter what shape my teeth are in, they are going to look comparatively wonderful.
You don't call ahead for a time slot but just show up and put your name on the list. About a half an hour later your called back. First, the dentist looks at my teeth and puts his gloveless fingers into my mouth. He exclaims that I have beautiful teeth. I also try to explain some of the orthodontic work that was done on my teeth and the permanent retainers I have glued to the back of my teeth. The information gap on this was probably quite large. I have no idea how much he understood other than that I had braces about seven years ago.
Then it's time for the hygienist to come in and actually start cleaning my teeth. I say start because having your teeth cleaned takes not one, not two, but three visits! On this visit they cleaned my bottom teeth.
This is how the process sort of goes: rinse mouth, chair goes down, air blown on my teeth, water sprayed on my teeth, chair goes up, rinse mouth, chair goes down, remove plaque (very gently), chair goes up, rinse mouth, chair goes down, polish teeth (part 1, again very gently), chair goes up, rinse mouth, chair goes down, polish teeth (part 2), chair goes up, rinse mouth, told to come back next week. (I guess flossing in on another visit.)
During this process the hygienist keeps politely apologizing (I don't know what for) and tells me to let her know if I feel any pain. I think I am more rough on my teeth when I brush them than the hygienist ever was. It more or less felt like she was massaging my teeth.
So, that was my visit to the dentist, part 1. We'll see what next week brings...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home