Hello! It's been a while since I've updated this site because I have been in Tokyo. I camped out at my friend's house in Chiba. Miho graciously allowed me to camp at her place. I had a fabulous time in Tokyo. I felt very independent and sophisticated while I was there. The differences between Tokyo and Shimonoseki are like night and day. One of the biggest differences was the amount of foreigners I saw everyday. I saw more foreigners in one hour in Tokyo than I see in months in Shimonoseki. The night before leaving Tokyo, I went to kabuki at the Kabuki-za. Seeing kabuki at the Kabuki-za
is like seeing Phantom of the Opera on Broadway or the West End. This traditional form of theater is known for it the stylization of its drama and the elaborate costumes and make-up worn by the performers. I waited in line for cheap balcony tickets where you can watch two of four acts for $15. The two acts lasted 2.5 hours. I enjoyed the costumes, dancing, instrumentation and singing, and experiencing another facet of Japanese culture. One of the interesting things is that expert audience members interact with the play. They will yell out various words/phrases. I guess that this is used to express the audience's appreciation of the actor's achievement.
Probably seeing Mt. Fuji was the ultimate highlight. It was incredible. This snow-capped mountain rises out of nowhere, which makes it extremely impressive and majestic. I couldn't help but sit and stare at God's creation and be amazed. After spending an hour absorbing the beauty, Miho and I went to an onsen. We were able to relax and soak in water from the base of Mt. Fuji. On the way home, we watched the moonlit mountain until it faded into nothingness behind us.
We also went to Disneyland in Tokyo. It was a lot of fun! The park
was packed with people, but
Miho and I made it on several rides and enjoying watching the parades and fireworks. I think the longest wait was 140 minutes. My favorite ride was "It's a Small World," with a very merry holiday theme. We took a boat ride and saw how Christmas holidays are celebrated around the world, while hearing "It's a small world after all" in various languages. I also really liked "Pooh's Honey Hunt." We rode in a honey pot car and followed Pooh through the Hundred Acre Woods as he looked for honey. The car even bounced when we saw Tigger:)
I enjoyed exploring Tokyo on my own and with friends. I was able to visit with friends from Northwestern College who are in the Tokyo area. It was great to see and experience little pieces of where these friends have grown-up or now work. I saw the Imperial Palace grounds, the Diet (the national government building), the Prime Minister's official residence, Asakusa (a traditional area of Tokyo), Tokyo Tower, Roppongi (the Beverly Hills equivalent), Yasakuni shrine, Akihabara, Harajuku, Metropolitian Government buildings (view from the 45th floor), ate at the Tahitian Noni Cafe & Outback Steakhouse, went to IKEA and ate Swedish meatballs, and window shopped along the Ginza.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home