I took my first ever bus tour with three friends, two Japanese and one Filipino. We went to Aso-Kuju National Park in Kyushu. We had a great time together despite the bad weather. The area reminded me a lot of Wales and England with lush rolling green hills. The weather was in true likeness as well--lots of rain and fog.
Mt. Aso is one of the largest active volcanoes in Japan with a caldera about 12 miles wide. Pretty impressive! I can imagine that this area is absolutely gorgeous on a nice spring/summer day.


(Above: What it looked like. Below: What it looks like on a nice day.)


Besides seeing the volcano we also went to a farm with animals you could pet. Being from Minnesota, this was not a big deal to me. However, for many of the Japanese actually being able to touch a cow, pig, goat, sheep, etc. was a new experience. Some of the animals were even wearing bandannas around their neck!




We also stopped at a winery and a strawberry/melon (cantaloupe) farm. I had my first experience of picking melons. It was quite interesting. They didn't grow on the ground but on rope apparatuses. Now I just have to wait 10 days for it to ripen. Then I get to eat it!




It was a full day (5:30 am-10:30 pm). Thankfully, we had a nice time together even though the weather wasn't good. This is a beautiful part of Japan! It's too bad that it's difficult to get to without a car.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home