Saturday, October 15, 2005

As leaves are starting to change colors and I hear the rustle of leaves drifting by my door, I realize it’s been a while since I’ve written. I am doing well and in somewhat of a routine. Everyday this place feels more and more like home. I recognize people on my morning walk to school, I know where things are located in the grocery store, I’ve discovered what some signs mean, and I’m getting used to not understanding 90% of what goes on around me;)

I am also amazed at how willing people are to communicate with me regardless of how much (or little) English they know. They often apologize for not being able to speak English, and I am quick to reply that I should be the one apologizing for not knowing Japanese. If only we were as willing to use the little bit of Spanish (or any other language) we know to communicate with people…

In the past month and a half I’ve had the opportunity to experience many different things! I’ve seen more of the beautiful place I live in, walked underneath the ocean, received my first “real” paycheck, been to another island (Kyushu), eaten dip’n dots and pork on a stick, seen a Confederate flag, climbed a castle, walked through fields of flowers, worshipped in English, slurped noodles with students, etc.

I am now teaching on my own and enjoying it. I have one class of middle schoolers that are frustrating at times, but other than that it’s going well. I even have a couple of students who ask for extra homework—amazing! It is so rewarding to be able to work with students and see when it clicks and the light turns on.

Right now I am in the process of finding a church. I would really appreciate your prayers! I’ve been to just about all of the churches in this area that I know about. At this time I don’t feel clearly led to any one place. I’m praying that God would reveal to me where He wants me to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home