Friday, January 27, 2006





Students come and students go. It's a reality in teaching, but some of them will live on in your heart forever. This is true of the class that I had to say goodbye to today. (After the month of January the seniors do not have to come to school.) I had my last class with the senior English majors and they hold a special place in my heart. These are the students that I taught my first independent class with. The six young ladies in my class were delightful. We had many moments of discovery, learning, and laughing together. They asked questions, were willing to think outside of the box, and always encouraging each other and me with their presence. They are definitely the "dream class" and are often referred to as such among the teachers.

For class we played a game and ate apple pastries that Heidi, Nick, and I made the night before. We had a wonderful time together and they oohed and aahed over the individualized apple pies. To say they loved them is an understatement! One of the girls in Nick's class talked with me later in the day about them and was using all of the positive/praising adjectives she knew to describe them. It was evident that they recognized and appreciated the love that was sent to them through the gesture.

So, what's next for them. I learned that over their extended break some of them with be studying, getting their drivers license or motorcycle license, working, relaxing, and resting. In April university will start and they will be hitting the books again. Their ambitions vary but include wanting to be a kindergarten teacher, flight attendant, Italian chef, news reporter, and archeologist. My love and prayers go with them as they venture out and learn more about themselves, their dreams, and the world around them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home