Tuesday, August 08, 2006

For the past five days, Larry and Marlys, family friends from home have been visiting me in Japan. It has been great to see familiar faces and be able to catch up with some news from home. While they were here we spent time in Shimonoseki, Mojiko, Chofu, Nagasaki and Fukuoka. We visited a several places, and a few that I hadn't seen before. Here a few of the new sights for me:

Meganebashi (Specacles Bridge): This bridge was built in 1634 and is the oldest stone arch bridge in Japan. The name comes the fact that the two arches and their reflection in the river look like eyeglasses. Of course, I had to walk across the bridge and back just to say I did it:)

Hakata Ningyo (Hakata Dolls): We went to a gallery where they have lots of dolls on display for purchase and a man painting the dolls in the back room. For this excursion we relied on facial expressions, hand motions and my limited Japanese to communicate with people. After arriving at the train station, we tried to figure out the Japanese map. We started walking but after a few steps I decided to ask an older lady along the sidewalk. We were going in the completely wrong direction. Thankfully, she was willing to help us. I'm convinced she would have walked us to the gallery if I hadn't told her I understood where to go now. She was one of the many sweet and thoughtful older ladies in Japan. They are always more than willing to help. The old man in the shop was also fun to be with. He pointed out different dolls, pictures of the process in making a doll, and eventually showed us the man painting dolls when I asked about it. These dolls are not my favorite Japanese craft, but I do have a much greater appreciation for it now.

Chofu Gardens: I have been to the gardens several times but never in August. This time I was able to see lotus flowers and lily pads. It was fun to experiment with my camera a little bit.










The Wilsons left this morning heading back to Osaka via local trains along the west coast. It was fun to show them around this area of Japan and share my home with them. I often wonder if I remember how things in America really are. For example, is Japan that much hotter and humid than Minnesota or have I just forgotten? I find myself forgetting words or expressions because I never use them here. Without a doubt, my vocabulary has shrunken. Basically, if English words have more than three syllables I haven't used it in almost a year.

Having guests here shows me ways that I have assimilated to this culture. Things that were once foreign have become familiar. For example, train employees bowing when they enter and exit a train car, going in the back of the bus and paying at the front of the bus when we exit, having things wrapped and bagged many times. At the hotel, the man who was in charge of making sure everything was stocked at the continental breakfast was wearing a three piece suit. This seemed totally normal to me.


It is good to have people visit. If any of you are ever in the area, you are always welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home