Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Events confirmed. It has been an eventful morning! At 3:09 am, I suddenly woke up when my bed and apartment started shaking. Yep, it was an earthquake, my first one ever that I can recall. It was a bit unnerving to know that a concrete building was moving; however, at the same time it was kind of exciting to experience this natural phenomenon. It probably lasted for about 10 seconds. I just sat up in bed and asked myself if this was actually an earthquake. I got up to see if anything in my apartment was moved or broken. Nothing was. I shrugged my shoulders and went back to bed. Upon checking with my neighbors this morning, I learned that I was right there was an earthquake. Apparently, the epicenter was in Shimonoseki. So much for Shimonoseki not getting any earthquakes!

The other event happened on my way to school. Heidi, Nick and I were talking while having just rounded a corner and starting to walk up a slight incline. On the left side of the sidewalk is a major road in Shimonoseki and on the right side is a hospital. Well, to the left of us, in a very public place, was a man in his fifties peeing in a little patch of grass next to a small bush! We kept talking and looking anywhere expect to the left. Once we passed the man, we made eye contact and it was confirmed: we really did just see what we thought we saw. I have seen this in India and Africa, but I did not expect to see this happen in Japan. We'll see what the rest of the day brings...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy. A once in a lifetime experience and something you for sure won't find in MN. I'm glad you're alright and that nothing was broken. Praise God for your safety. Hopefully any coming typhoons aren't damaging either.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home