Sunday, October 30, 2005

There was a teacher field trip today. We went to Kyushu to the newly built National Museum, which is sort of like a Smithsonian building. There were lots of pieces of display that are important to Japanese history. For example, gold inkons from China that refer to Japan were on display. These inkons are the first artifact that Japan has of being an independent nation. Appartently, a picture of these inkons is the first picture you would see in a Japanese history textbook. The museum has just recently opened and the place as packed with wall to wall people. Thankfully, I was taller than most of the people there and could see things by looking over their heads. However, if you wanted to see something you basically had to push and shove your way to the glass. It was insain! Getting a glimspe of the Monsa Lisa in the Louvre was a much less dangerous task!

In one of the glass cases there were artifacts from the era when Christians were persecuted and martyred. There were plaques and crosses that officials would place on the ground. Those who wanted to keep their lives would have to deny Christ by standing on them, spitting on them, etc. Those who refused to deny their identity in Christ were killed. Wow, it was powerful to see! How thankful I am to be able to worship freely today; however, not all people around the world as fortunate. It was a good reminder to be in prayer for the persecuted church.

For supper we went to a fancy place. The first course was sashimi, raw fish. The first question everyone asks foreigners is, "Can you eat sashimi?" I just have to laugh a little because they ask it like it's a physical impossiblity for some people. Of course, I can eat it but that doesn't mean I necessarily like it. There were several other courses of cooked fish and seafood (salmon, shrimp, etc.). We also had chicken, rice, and miso soup. There was even a dainty piece of dessert at the end, which was about the size of a small matchbook. By the end of the meal I was satisfied and pleasantly full. During this meal I also learned that it is the responsibility of everyone to make sure that people's glasses are filled with alcohol. If someone sitting next to you has an empty glass, it's your job to fill their glass. Interesting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home