On Saturdays I teach three classes in the morning. Today in one of my classes (which consists of all of two students), we started working on a goal paper. I'm introducing the terms and ideas of "brainstorming" and "outlining". One of the students decided that her goal was to become independent. She asked me what it meant to be independent in America. And thus, our conversation took off as we compared the idea of what it means to be independent. I explained to her that most people are independent by the time they are twenty-three or so. It means supporting yourself financially, living by yourself, paying for your own health insurance, buying groceries and cooking, making decisions on your own. Of course, you may consult your parents or other people but you have the "final say". After listening, asking a few intelligent questions, and processing the information she said, "I think it is different in Japan. There are a lot of parasite singles." I couldn't help but laugh. This name perfectly fits a common scenario in Japan. Most people who are single live with their parents. They may be 20, they may be 45. Yes, they have jobs and make money but they still life off their parents. Their parents pay for housing, food, etc. The money they make from work is basically used as play money. They really are like a parasite.
I'm looking forward to reading what she has to say about becoming independent. In Japan, it's very important to be apart of the group. You would never do anything to jeopardize your family name. Times are changing but independence still looks very different here than it does in America.

1 Comments:
Rachel,
That is such an interesting comparison of life views. There is not one way that is better than the other, but both have their drawbacks and positives. Since we grow up with the idea of independence, it is natural for us. But the group identity which the Japanese have also has many strengths. It will be interesting to read her paper.
Getting people to think about life is a good thing. Do you think we are parasites on God's goodness. He gives us whatever we need and we spend our resources on what we want. MMMM. Something to think about.
:) Marlys
Post a Comment
<< Home