Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Ayumi, one my students, recently had one of her wisdom teeth removed. (But bless her heart, she is still willing to turn pages for me for the musical.) I asked her if she was only getting one of her wisdom teeth removed and she said, "No." I was then reminded of a cultural difference between Japan and America.

In America we like to get things done quickly and efficiently. All of my wisdom teeth where removed in one appointment, and then I went for one check-up to make sure I didn't have dry socket. In Japan, they like to elongate processes. For wisdom teeth removal, each tooth is taken out individually. Then they will have about two check-up appointments for each tooth to make sure everything is okay.

One more example: One of the teachers at school is having surgery on his hernia. After his surgery he will remain in the hospital one month to recover. It's a good thing insurance covers more over here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home