Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Japanese Graduation: Today I had a new experience--high school graduation in Japan. It was a rainy and overcast day, so unfortunately the chapel was once again cold. The teachers were all sitting together shoulder to shoulder in the front four rows. (The nice thing was that this created a small amount of warmth.) Of course, the foreign teachers were in the front row. I think that they put us there for comic relief. Being in the front, everyone can watch and laugh at us because we don't know when to stand, sit and bow.

In their school uniforms, the graduates march in.
The ceremony lasted about an hour and a half. There were many speeches and tons of bowing. I don't think I've ever seen so much bowing in my entire life. I'm not exaggerating too much when I say that about half of the ceremony was bowing. This is done as a group and individually. Each graduate walks across the front of the stage and receives their diploma by bowing. They then make several 90 degree angles to get back to their seats. (They put marching bands to shame.) This is a very serious process. Only a handful of students cracked a smile as they were walking down the steps to their seats.

Observation: It is mainly moms who are at the graduation. Since the ceremony is during the morning, this limits who can attend and support the graduates. It's usually the moms who are there because most of them are housewives. If their mom works, there is a chance that no one was there to see them graduate. How sad! On the other hand, some moms are there wearing beautiful and elaborate kimonos!

After the ceremony, they go up to their homerooms for final speeches, pictures, goodbyes, etc. This is when their faces are radiating with joy and smiles, they're laughing, and grabbing people for pictures. Being a foreigner, I was in a few pictures with students I didn't even know. One of the moms even wanted a picture with the foreign teachers.


It was a great day to celebrate with the students. They have worked hard and are now venturing out into the world on their own. Oh, how I am going to miss these girls. They were a dream class and will be greatly missed by all. I pray that God will bless them, that they will make wise decisions, and ultimately that they will find Truth--that they will come to know Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home