One of the things I love about my job is that I get to journal with students. We write letters back and forth every week asking and answering questions. Sometimes questions or answers are misunderstood, so you have to go back and clarify. That happened to me this week. Last week I asked one of my students, "Are you like your mom or dad?" I knew that this one could easily be misinterpreted but I decided to give it a try anyways. This was the reply I received (unedited):
"You asked me which you like mother or father? It is too difficult for me to answer. I like both. Unfounded. A reason isn't necessary for liking my parents. Everyone thinks so surely, too. How about you? Don't you think like me surely, either?"
The voice of this first year high school student definitely comes through. I guess that I'll be doing some damage control this week:)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home