Wednesday, November 23, 2005


Our apartment complex put together a Thanksgiving dinner today. Today is a labor day in Japan, so we all had the day off from school. Thus, we celebrated Thanksgiving today instead of tomorrow. At the local community center six tables were put together so nineteen people could sit in one large circle. The table was decorated with red roses and yellow flowers, the turkeys started smoking at 2:00 am, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (special ordered along with the turkeys), rolls and a variety of breads, green bean casserole, yams, fruit salad and of course, pumpkin pie for dessert. Looking around the table it was a joy to see people talking, laughing, smiling, taking pictures, playing with Audrey (the three year old in our midst), and enjoying the festive atmosphere. Some I know very well and others I exchange morning greetings with, but these are the people that make up my living community.

Our count of nineteen consisted of thirteen Americans and six Asians. It was fun to watch someone experience this holiday for the first time. Explaining how we eat the food, why we celebrate Thanksgiving, what some of our family traditions are, etc. was good. It was good to be reminded of the numerous things that I have been blessed with. Then it was time to take turns sharing what we were thankful for. Even now my heart is full with big and little things I'm thankful for: having a job, being supported by family & friends, mail, living in a beautiful city, being able to pray with my co-workers, internet, an oil heater, my microwave-oven, seeing my students hunger for God, the list could go on and on. I have been blessed beyond what I deserved.

After stuffing our bellies with delicious food, we sang songs, continued talking, took turns playing piano, and had fun with Audrey as she directed the games we were playing. It was beautiful to watch people soaking in the moments, content with life, realizing all that God has blessed us with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home