


It was a night with friends eating sushi and then watching "The Wizard of Oz." We ate at a kaiten sushi restaurant. Little plates of sushi come around on a conveyer belt and you grab what you want. (You can also order if you don't see what you want.) The plates are color/pattern coded so you know how much each plate costs. Most of them are around $1. You can get everything from eel, octopus, and fugu (blowfish) to ham sushi. Who would have thought that you could get ham and bacon sushi? We had a great time trying all kinds!
Then we watched "The Wizard of Oz" together. During our Korea trip, Lena and I made a couple of references to it. Once we discovered that the two Japanese friends hadn't seen it, we decided that we needed to see it together. It had probably been over 10 years since I had last seen it, so it was a lot of fun to watch it again. I hadn't realized how often we elude to it. We had a great time explaining all of the references!
A few examples: follow the yellow brick road, I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too, aunty Em, there's no place like home, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!, that's a horse of a different color, Toto too?, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and the list could go on.

1 Comments:
...and the one most appropriate for being in Japan: "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!"
Post a Comment
<< Home