Sunday, October 29, 2006


Yesterday I went to a theatrical performance at Akama shrine. The major historical events of Shimonoseki were played out in song and motion on the steps leading up to the shrine. I saw lots of samurai costumes along with two elaborate geisha-type outfits.

The lady I was with explained the differences between a maiko, geisha, yujo and oiran. A maiko is training to be a geisha. A geisha is an entertainer and performer. A yujo is a prostitute and an oiran is a high-paid prostitute. Visually, one of the differences between a geisha and an oiran is their kimono's obi. The obi is the part of the kimono that is tied around the waist elaborately. A geisha's is tied in the back like it usually is, and an oiran ties hers in the front so it's easy to take off. I found all of this quite interesting and thought you might, too. There are a lot of misconceptions about what geishas really are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home